Nursing Home Abuse and Personal Injury Lawyers
Mobile, Alabama
Mobile, AL 251-438-7503

Do You Have Questions About Your Car Accident?

Auto accidents in Alabama can be confusing and overwhelming. While you're recovering from your injuries and trying to find a way to pay the bills, you need answers you can trust from someone who's on your side. That's why we're here. Our experienced Alabama car accident attorneys have compiled this list of questions and answers to help guide you down the road ahead.

These general questions and answers should give you an idea of how to proceed, but every situation is unique. That's why you should contact a Mobile, AL car accident lawyer at Braswell Murphy, LLC before taking action. We have the experience, resources and dedication needed to help you take on the insurance company and get the compensation you need. Call (866) 408-0950 to schedule a free consultation.

What should I do after a car accident?

First, remain at the scene unless you must leave to seek emergency medical attention. Leaving the scene of an accident is a serious crime. Contact the police and make sure the scene is safe, which may mean you have to move your vehicle to avoid blocking traffic.

Exchange contact and insurance information with the other motorist involved in the accident, and be sure to get the name and badge number of the investigating police officer as well as names and contact information for any witnesses. Keep your comments to anyone else at the scene brief, and don't say anything that could be construed as admitting fault for the accident. Stick to the facts of what happened.

Take pictures of the accident scene, including skid marks, damage to vehicles and other property, and any visible injuries. That evidence can disappear quickly, and the more you have, the stronger your claim will be.

See a doctor right away, even if you feel fine. This protects both your health and your legal rights. Make sure you document every medical appointment - including mileage and travel time to and from the doctor's office - and comply with your doctor's instructions.

Promptly notify your insurance company that you were involved in an accident, but again, keep your comments brief and stick to the facts of what happened. Any information you give them could be used to reduce or deny your claim.

Finally, contact us as soon as possible. The sooner you have an experienced attorney on your side, the easier it will be to be made whole again.

Back to Top

Do I need to talk to the insurance company?

You do need to promptly notify your insurance company that you were involved in an accident; otherwise, they may deny your claim. Beyond that, though, you have absolutely no obligation to talk to any insurance company, whether your own or another driver's, and we recommend that you don't. Insurance companies will do everything in their power to cut their own costs - which means reducing or denying your claim - and any information you give them will be used for that purpose.

Instead, contact our law firm as soon as possible and we'll call the insurance to let them know that you've retained an attorney. From that point forward, we will handle all communications with the insurance on your behalf so that you can focus on getting better.

Back to Top

I'm only a little sore. Do I have to see a doctor?

Absolutely. It's very common for car accidents to cause brain injuries, internal injuries and other injuries that may take time to become readily apparent. Seeing a doctor right away is the best way to protect your health. Moreover, if you wait to see a doctor, an insurance company may later use the delay in treatment as an excuse to deny your claim.

Back to Top

How can I get my medical bills paid?

Ultimately, the insurance company of the driver who caused your accident should be responsible for your medical bills, but they typically won't settle your claim until after you have completed treatment, and your medical providers will want to be paid before that. There are a few types of insurance coverage that may pay your medical bills in the interim:

  • Medical and funeral: This is an optional coverage type on your own insurance that will pay for your medical bills after an accident. If you have this coverage, it should be your first option to get your medical bills paid.
  • Health insurance: Your employer-provided health insurance may be reluctant to pay for injuries sustained in a car accident, but it is their job to pay for your medical care. However, going through your health insurance means you'll be responsible for co-pays and deductibles, and there may be procedures that your policy won't cover.

If you don't have either type of coverage, or if you don't have enough coverage to pay for all of your medical expenses, we may be able to work with your medical providers to pay for treatment on an attorney's lien basis. This is an agreement between your medical provider and your attorney to treat you at no up-front cost; instead, they will be paid once we recover a settlement or verdict in your favor.

Back to Top

What if the driver who hit me didn't have insurance?

Unfortunately, many motorists in Alabama and Mississippi are on the road with no insurance. If you have uninsured motorist coverage, you may be able to recover from your own insurance company. You may also be able to pursue financial compensation from the uninsured driver's own assets, or from another policy that covers the driver such as a family member's or employer's policy. That's why it's so important to have an experienced lawyer who understands how the insurance industry works on your side. That's why you need Braswell Murphy, LLC.

Back to Top

I have health insurance and sick time. Do I really need a lawyer?

Absolutely. Just because you have other means of paying for some of your accident-related expenses doesn't mean the at-fault driver shouldn't pay. If you were injured due to someone else's negligence, you are entitled to compensation from that person, period. Moreover, you may be able to get compensation for losses that are not covered by health insurance or paid time off at work, such as pain and suffering and replacement services.

Back to Top

Will I have to go to court? How long will my case take to resolve?

It depends. Usually, we start negotiating with the insurance company once you have completed your medical treatment and reach a settlement in anywhere from three to nine months. If we need to file a lawsuit, it may take one or two years before your case actually goes to trial, although we can still settle at any point prior to the verdict.

Most cases do settle out of court, but we're always prepared to take the insurance companies to trial if that's what it takes to get fair compensation for our clients. If you do need to go to court, you'll be working with an experienced trial attorney every step of the way, and we'll make sure you are fully prepared.

Back to Top

Super LawyersLife Memeber Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. The Top Trial Lawyers in AmericaAssociation of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of AmericaAV PreeminentNTL Top 100 Members

Braswell Murphy, LLC

105 N. Conception St. #100 Mobile, AL 36602

(251) 438-7503